Friday, April 29, 2011

oh, god, it's everywhere




Much of young and restless Norfolk that I've come across this week is all abuzz for Art | Everywhere Opening Night this Saturday, and for good reason. Last year was a striking success, going a long way towards achieving the vision of transforming downtown into an interactive gallery. A feather in the cap for the kids over at AltDaily and everybody who helped them. Including myself. You didn't think I was just going to celebrate local art without talking about myself, did you? This year I've again been assigned to bring the madness and mirth to Hell's Kitchen (actually, they are calling it "Comedy in Hell's Kitchen"). I'll be doing the same thing I did last year but more. More comic friends. More Plan B. More technically organized. Actually that last part was on the word of my contact at Hell's Kitchen, who I learned today is recently not with Hell's Kitchen. Fucking Norfolk bar turnover. In any case I'll be there at 8 making the world laugh. It's gonna be a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi...great blog. Thanks for mentioning AltDaily's contribution to Art|Everywhere. The installations and associated energy were a positive thing, much-needed in an often stale city like Norfolk. ORF has a LOT of potential and people like the AltDaily folks and you (from what I'm able to discern so far) are the key. I'm looking forward to the Gay Pride festival in June, "Out In The Park" because it finally will bring the festival into the heart of Norfolk so that the community as a whole can join in (either to protest, to dance, to gawk or to celebrate).

    I was disappointed to see someone vandalize the "Happiness is..." chalkboard installation downtown with permanent paint markers, including writing "FATLITTLEMONKEY.COM" on it. I don't think FLM had anything to do with it whatsoever. Rather, a killjoy who used vandalism to make some point (?).

    Keep up the good work, and thanks.

    ReplyDelete