Monday, April 11, 2011

substance has khori


That's Childish Gambino, the nom de rap of my Community obsession Donald Glover. I mean, he's no Alison Brie, but dude is funny as hell and it turns out he can also emcee. I actually felt proud of myself for turning my friend Khori Johnson on to the ChildishDonaldGambi
noGloverCommunityVerse.

Khori is one of the funniest cats I know and, as seen in the silhouette image, a heroic soldier. He also has an ace taste in the musicalism and was one of my greatest supporters in sets at Substance before an unfortunate detour to Iraq. Substance, or as I always like to spell it, Subsdance, is an open decks DJ night at the Belmont on Tuesdays. It is one of the coolest nights of music constantly percolating in Norfolk presided over by some of the nicest people you ever could meet.

The wonderful thing about Subsdance is that it gives you music you don't hear at the bars and clubs every night, but the personal favorites that smart music obsessives are passionate about. It is not streamlined for massive acceptance, but
when you don't like something, a whole new flavor of deep cut is coming up within the half hour. It is a rare oasis of true pop eclecticism in this crazy town.

It is my pleasure to tell you that Khori is back from a war and in town for the next week or so, just in time to do his first Subsdance set. I have no idea what it will comprise, as I could never predict his mp3 shuffle. He does have soft spots for colorful underground hip hop, eccentric mainstream hip hop, French house & its fallout, and winning indiepop, because that is how cool he is. In any case, it is sure to transmit the giddy joy he is known for infecting people with.

Catch him at the Belmont on Tuesday (April 12, 2011 if yr nasty). You won't be sorry for long.



1 comment:

  1. It is to my goddamn eternal shame and displeasure that I won't be in town for this.

    Welcome back, Khori. Ohio is very, very glad that you are not dead.

    ReplyDelete