Friday, May 6, 2011

what it do, portsmouth and chesapeake? comedy factory and fantasmo, respectively


Tonight (Friday the 6th of May if yr nasty) Portsmouth and Chesapeake have a few of my favorite things going on.

My comedy pal Tim Loulies has an above-board hustle going on over at Comedy Factory: Code Three in Portsmouth. I'm totally going to tell 20 minutes worth of jokes there tonight as the feature. Tim hosts per usual. Looking forward to seeing headliner Alex Scott. 9pm at Code 3 Tavern. Tim has done solids for me and the funny scene and has the best barbecue I've tasted within his family. He's also deeply entertaining. Come see him and you'll find out what I mean.

My other thing that I love that I'm sad to miss is the great Fantasmo. This is where the wonderful Chesapeake Central Library events FantaSci and Monsterfest mated and gave birth to a cult cinema explosion. For one thing, this library is a state of the art facility with ace sound and vision t
hat lets these cats project things on a big screen. For another thing, when public libraries are known for censorship, here we get a librarian and his funky friend pontificating and waxing
fun on (sometimes hard) R-rated features.

Tonight they take on that most fun and daring and uneven genres, the anthology. Shit, I'm going to miss this night, because I've had good anthology nights there. They let me see some great Amicus anthologies on the big screen, and those things paved the way for the great HBO series Tales From The Crypt.

It should be clear here that there is a great fondness here for EC Comics, which wound up giving us MAD Magazine. The best rubric for the series' that recreated their aesthetic is Creepshow, a faux-EC anthology directed by George Romero and written by Stephen King (who also stars in one sequence). Later in the '80s, Romero did his own syndicated anthology, Tales From The Darkside.

Tonight at 8 Fantasmo will be showing Creepshow in all of its featuring-Leslie-Neilson glory. Following at 10:15-ish will be Tales From The Darkside: The Movie. Ha! I didn't even tell you there was an anthology movie there. That's the old Shamylan twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment